survival skills week
During July, each year, we dedicate a week to teaching our pupils personal survival skills so they can be better equipped for their summer holidays. Being able to cope in unexpected situations such as when being fully clothed and falling into water is very important, and can save a life.
The lesson involves swimming whilst wearing clothes and shoes, so pupils should bring the following:
- Long sleeve tops
- Pyjama bottoms or light trousers
- A pair of clean shoes (that can get wet!) if you can
Some skills they will learn:
- How to keep as warm as possible in cold water
- Should a friend or sibling fall into water - the correct way to help them to safety while staying safe too
- How to call for help
- Swimming without goggles – especially if swimmers always wear goggles
- Identifying and using debris in the water to assist those in trouble to float
- Becoming accustomed to what it feels like to swim with clothes on
- We have many more hints and tips to share
We try to run our Survival Skills Week in conjunction with the RLSS Drowning Prevention Week which similarly is aimed at identifying and learning necessary life-saving skills. We hope you find this week both beneficial and enjoyable!