survival skills week
Each year one week in July is dedicated to teaching our pupils personal survival skills so they can be better equipped for their summer holidays. Being able to cope in unexpected situations where water is involved is vital, and can save a life.
The lesson involves swimming with clothes and shoes, so please can each pupil bring the following:
- Long sleeve tops
- Pyjama bottoms or light trousers
- A pair of clean shoes (that can get wet!) if you can
Some skills they will learn:
- How to keep as warm as possible in cold water
- What if a friend falls in – the correct way to help and assist them to safety
- How to call for help
- Swimming without goggles – especially if swimmers are used to goggles
- Recognising and using debris in the water to enable those in trouble to float
- What it feels like to swim with clothes on
- And many more hints and tips
We try to run our Survival Skills Week in conjunction with the RLSS Drowning Prevention Week which similarly is aimed at identifying and learning necessary life saving skills that can save lives. We hope you find this week both beneficial and enjoyable!